What or Who Pissed Him Off?
What or Who Pissed Him Off?
Deceptive Heart by. Convictions, Single Review
_______________________________________________
And things keep rolling! Welcome to this issue of my music review blog. In this one we have the second single off of the upcoming album "Hope For The Broken" by the Christian Metalcore/Post-Hardcore band Convictions. That album being slated for release on June 1st. this song is titled "Deceptive Heart" and it is another straight up fire one from these guys. It sits as one of the heaviest I have heard from them since Michael joined them on vocals. Whereas the last single, "Voices", was a little bit lighter. Yet it still would make you want to get up and move in the pit. They released the music video for it over on InVogue's YT channel on yesterday, May 18th, along with the audio track on all streaming platforms. And right away I can tell that this is my favorite track by them so far. Can't wait to hear the rest of album. And now we get to the lyrical breakdown, before I divulge into my thoughts on the instrumentals.
________________________________________________
The song follows a V-C-V-C-B-Breakdown lyrical route. A little more along the lines of what bands in their genre do. But that is actually a great thing! You get two nice verses that bring you a powerful double meaning message. A chorus that pops and keeps you hooked. And a bridge and breakdown that leave you wanting to destroy the pit. As for the double meaning. I get that from the video and from the lyrics as well. The video shows what seems to be the aftermath of a break-up between two people. And the lyrics follow that. But given the bands faith, it could also symbolize the break-up of you and whatever sin/vice that holds you from being your true potential. So let's dive right into both of those meanings.
Verse one starts this double meaning theme. A relationship between the narrator, and his girlfriend. And the relationship between the narrator and the vices that keep him from being his full self. Living up to his fullest, and greatest potential.
"Broken hearts and states apart. I'll take what you destroyed and turn it to art. I sold my soul for her devotions. In turn, she left me across the ocean. Forever in chains by these binding emotions. Forever enslaved. Taunting me back, back to the sea. My memories return like the tide. I wish I could forget, but can I forget! This fabricated bride? I wish I could forget you! I'm drowning. This can't be real".
Being in a band can be quite fun. You get to meet a lot of people. And you might even meet the one you would spend the rest of your life with. But often times when you are dating it becomes long distance. And distance can put a strain on things. so these lyrics show how one party can promise that the distance wont be an issue. But in the long run they can't handle it and they either cheat, make up a reason to break things off, or they try to make you feel bad for doing what you are and that you should stop touring to be with them. And the narrator is now stuck in a relationship limbo. On the spiritual end. These lyrics could symbolizes a substance abuse, or other addiction to something that you use to cope with stress. But when things are the worst these vices leave you to dry with no friends. And now you lash at what you once held in the highest esteem.
Verse two keeps the theme flowing with the video still showing the girl, and the narrator who is still reeling from the aftermath of the break-up, or the consequences of his actions and addiction. Yet there is still a lining of hope for our young narrator and his future.
"Lie after lie after lie after lie! Yet I stood here right by your side
L-O-V-E
This is going to be the death of me.
L-O-V-E.
You will always be my agony. I wish I could forget you! I'm drowning.
This can't be real!"
Back to that relationship element of this song. The one party seems to be lying about something to their companion who is far, far away at times. They look forward to the time they get to be with their lover. So to find out that they have been lying to you can be devastating. You can forgive them a few times. But after a while it can get to be unbearable, all the lies. Same with the lie that you tell yourself when you turn to the thing that you use as your coping mechanism. And so the love that you felt towards either of these things is now the thing that keeps you awake at night, your agony, the death of you. You wish you could forget them/it.
Next we get to that ever so good and snappy chorus. You know. The thing that is a bit repetitive and simple thing. But not so simple to write. You make it flow with the theme and somehow keep it short enough to keep everyone interested in the track and its theme.
"I won't let you consume me. So don't. Don't say you're sorry.
I won't let you consume me. I know I'm not what you assume, assume, assume. This time I'm done with you"
Using the chorus you can see that the narration shifts to that of stating that now you are done with everything. You are done with the lies and crap that your long distance lover is pulling. You are now ready to cut all ties with them. Likewise in the spiritual realm you are saying to your vice that you are done with it's consuming power. You are going to leave it and now you are going to fully submit to a higher power and what it has to offer
Finally we reach the bridge and breakdown part of the song. And this is quite possibly my favorite part of this track. The bridge is a tantalizing build up to the most mosh inducing part of the song. And the breakdown ends the song. So it makes it the perfect time to move and get ready for what the next song on the set list has to offer. Unless this is the last song of the set. In that case it is also the perfect way to end it. One last push to get physical and to love your neighbor in the pit in a violent way.
"You left me not knowing what to say. Is it supposed to end this way? These years spent securing our future. When happily ever after didn't suit her. These years spent blinded by your glow. Now my eyes are open you're someone I don't know. You're someone I don't know"
The lover/vice has left you in a state of dissent. You are unsure of how to handle it. You don't know what to say or do. You gave your whole life up to this point to your lover/vice. And now that everything is gone, what do you do? Years are now gone. Ones you will never get back. And now the thing you once cherished the most is now something you don't even know anymore. Then we get to the break down. It starts with a violent screaming of the songs title, "DECEPTIVE HEART!". Again, another double edged sword. Your lover was a deceptive person and their heart ultimately reflects that. And your vice has left your heart deceiving you that it is good for you. And then the breakdown ends with a recitation of a verse from Isaiah, in the old testament of the Holy Bible.
"Lord, lead me through the waters. It tears me apart Fix what's been destroyed so I can restart." Isaiah 43:1
_____________________________________________________
And with that the song comes to it's heavy end. All I can say on the technical end is that I hope they continue this streak of getting heavier. It is something that I think helps with their messages that are in their music. The passion that Mike puts behind the lyrics on this track are proof of that. But I would say that his high vocals can be a bit screechy at points. But with a little more honing in I can see the high-screams becoming a powerful tool in the vocalists belt. I am seeing these guys tomorrow at the 18th Street Pier Bar and Grill in San Leon, TX; supporting Volumes and Upon A Burning Body on their co-headlining tour. I already have my press pass ready to go. So keep an eye out for those shots and the blog to come next week from this show. Till then go and check out their song linked down below, as well as their socials, and mine for lots of fun content. Don't forget to subscribe to this blog for more fun blogs to come. And I will see you in the next blog, very soon!
___________________________________________________
FB: @CMPMNNR
Twitter:@CMPMNNR
Insta: CMPMNNR
Patreon: CMPMNNR
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
Convictions Links---------------------------
FB: @ConvictionsRock
Twitter: @ConvictionsRock
Insta: convictionsrock
Song Link: https://open.spotify.com/track/1IqiXWGdkUyIsuVQozahu7?si=hmbbJR0dSj2583p1zSkB0w

Comments
Post a Comment