Turn Up The Volume!
Turn Up The Volume!
Volumes, Upon A Burning Body, The White Noise, and Convictions show 05/20/2018
_______________________________________________
And I'm back! Bringing you another Concert Blog installment. And it has been a while since I have done one of those. This one comes to from the show I was at this past Sunday at the 18th Street Pier Bar And Grill in San Leon, TX. Just a stone's throw away from the Kemah Boardwalk. And let's just say that the show was AWESOME! But the venue was not, and will continue to be one of my least favorite venues. I will get into a little more details on that shortly. But for now we will get straight into the bands that were performing, and my thoughts on the show overall.
________________________________________________
First band up after the four local openers was the band Convictions. You may remember them from one of my blog posts earlier this year. Or the a couple of the previous blogs were I reviewed their singles "Voices" (https://cmpmnnr.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-voices-in-my-head.html), and "Deceptive Heart" (https://cmpmnnr.blogspot.com/2018/05/what-or-who-pissed-him-off.html). Both of which come off their upcoming full length album titled "Hope For The Broken". That album drops June 1st and I had the opportunity to purchase one of the advance copies that they were selling at the show. And let me tell you. If you haven't been to one of the shows to purchase the advanced copy, the when it hits the shelves next Friday you ears will be eternally blessed! But back to the show. They were the first up with a 25 minute long set. So think, Warped Tour. They packed in 6 songs into that set. That included The Void Remains, House Of Lies, and the two new ones played back to back in order Deceptive Heart, and Voices. Mike the vocalist delivered those lyrics with a powerful passion. Unlike the first time that I saw them. His vocals were passionate then, but now seemed like he had a bit more flowing through him. And seeing his reaction to the fans singing the songs back to him makes me love this band even more! Zach has some of the most amazing drum skills, and funny drummer faces! Josh shreds the guitar in the most post hardcore way! And John provides some tantalizing bass-lines along with clean vocals that can tie each song together like a Christmas bow! They closed out their set with one of my favorite by them "Charlatan". It includes one of my favorite lines "If GOD is for me, you will never stand against me!". These guys have quickly become one of my favorite bands to listen to, to see live and photograph! And given the chance to tour as their photographer I would not think twice! so check them out!
Next band up was The White Noise. A band that got their start in Dallas, TX and are currently based out of Los Angeles, CA. As I strive to be honest in my blogs I have to say that this band is not one that I listen to frequently enough to know any of their songs. They sound great, And their fan base is a great one as well. I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get into their music. Like I said. They sound great. I am definitely going to have to listen to them more, see them live more, and then I can honestly answer to what my thoughts are on them and their music. So bear with me.
The third band up was co-headliner Upon A Burning Body. The San Antonio, TX natives have a stage presence that screams Texas Pride. They are made up of Danny Leal on vocals, Ruben Alvarez on guitars, Tito Felix on drums, and Joe Antonellis, a new addition as of 2017 on bass. These guys have found success in their genre and have toured the world. But Texas will always be their home. And when they are anywhere in the state they make sure to put on a kickin' show! Even though the way the venue is set up made the pit smaller than normal there still was a lot of action. And with the crowd singing along to the opening song B.M.F (use your imagination on that one). And screaming along to the final song of the set and arguably my favorite from them that is Texas Blood Money. Screaming along to the opening line "The stars at night, are big and bright! Deep in the heart of Texas!" A definite crowd pleaser for these Texas natives. And they, in my opinion, should have been the last band to play that night. Seeing as a decent chunk of the crowd left after their set. So definitely check them out if you haven't already!
And then we get to the last band up. Volumes. This five piece band hails from Los Angeles, CA and consists of Gus Farias on unclean vocals, Diego Farias on guitars and keyboards Raad Soudani on bass, Nick Ursich on drums, Myke Terry on clean vocals. These guys make it no secret that they are prolific lovers of Marijuana. They even had a grinder as one of their items for their VIP's who purchased a M&G Package for any of their show dates on this tour. They even admitted to being high before their set. Not that they had to. Seeing too many people who were higher than a kite when I worked at Waffle House. Or the ones I encounter at the door when I deliver pizzas for my current job. Overall their set was good. Opening with crowd favorite "Left For Dead". Closing with another crowd favorite in "Intake" Their set was definitely a good one. Loud. But good. And definitely a great way to end the night.
Now on to what I was saying earlier. This venue is one of my least favorite venue for a number of reasons. For starters you have the distance. This one is not that much of a deal breaker seeing as I have traveled further for shows (Cynthia Woods Pavilion). But combine that with it's standing room/pit size; which is smaller than my least favorite venue (The White Swan Live). And when I say in an earlier line that the sets were loud. They were pretty loud for the venue size. Which made it harder to thoroughly enjoy UABB's and Volumes sets specifically. And not to mention that their entire PA system went out during the second song of An Author, A Poet's set. It took the crew a good deal of time to fix it too. They spent about ten minutes before the band decided to play with just their amps and the raw vocal power of each member. And after they got it back during the middle of that song things weren't the same. There were a lot of patchy times in Convictions set with the mics cutting out again for about 20 seconds of a song. And the volume fluctuating during The White Noise's set. Before settling on it being way too loud for the Volume's set. Especially with them play a few older, louder, heavier songs.
In the end I would still go to a venue that I don't like given that the bands that are playing are ones that I am always down to see. Which in this case there were two that I will always make an effort to see. My home state homies in UABB, always holdin' down in H-Town. And my new found favorites and current obsession Convictions. so make sure you check them all out! All of the bands! And that is going to do it for this blog. Make sure you head on over to my FB page where I am going to post my photos of the entire concert which includes the four locals. Follow me on the rest of my socials for more fun stuff. And stay tuned. I am almost done working on my three websites. One dedicated to my blogs. One for all of my concert photography. And one for my special poetry project that I am currently working on. And as always. I will see you with another blog post. Very soon!
Next band up was The White Noise. A band that got their start in Dallas, TX and are currently based out of Los Angeles, CA. As I strive to be honest in my blogs I have to say that this band is not one that I listen to frequently enough to know any of their songs. They sound great, And their fan base is a great one as well. I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get into their music. Like I said. They sound great. I am definitely going to have to listen to them more, see them live more, and then I can honestly answer to what my thoughts are on them and their music. So bear with me.
The third band up was co-headliner Upon A Burning Body. The San Antonio, TX natives have a stage presence that screams Texas Pride. They are made up of Danny Leal on vocals, Ruben Alvarez on guitars, Tito Felix on drums, and Joe Antonellis, a new addition as of 2017 on bass. These guys have found success in their genre and have toured the world. But Texas will always be their home. And when they are anywhere in the state they make sure to put on a kickin' show! Even though the way the venue is set up made the pit smaller than normal there still was a lot of action. And with the crowd singing along to the opening song B.M.F (use your imagination on that one). And screaming along to the final song of the set and arguably my favorite from them that is Texas Blood Money. Screaming along to the opening line "The stars at night, are big and bright! Deep in the heart of Texas!" A definite crowd pleaser for these Texas natives. And they, in my opinion, should have been the last band to play that night. Seeing as a decent chunk of the crowd left after their set. So definitely check them out if you haven't already!
And then we get to the last band up. Volumes. This five piece band hails from Los Angeles, CA and consists of Gus Farias on unclean vocals, Diego Farias on guitars and keyboards Raad Soudani on bass, Nick Ursich on drums, Myke Terry on clean vocals. These guys make it no secret that they are prolific lovers of Marijuana. They even had a grinder as one of their items for their VIP's who purchased a M&G Package for any of their show dates on this tour. They even admitted to being high before their set. Not that they had to. Seeing too many people who were higher than a kite when I worked at Waffle House. Or the ones I encounter at the door when I deliver pizzas for my current job. Overall their set was good. Opening with crowd favorite "Left For Dead". Closing with another crowd favorite in "Intake" Their set was definitely a good one. Loud. But good. And definitely a great way to end the night.
Now on to what I was saying earlier. This venue is one of my least favorite venue for a number of reasons. For starters you have the distance. This one is not that much of a deal breaker seeing as I have traveled further for shows (Cynthia Woods Pavilion). But combine that with it's standing room/pit size; which is smaller than my least favorite venue (The White Swan Live). And when I say in an earlier line that the sets were loud. They were pretty loud for the venue size. Which made it harder to thoroughly enjoy UABB's and Volumes sets specifically. And not to mention that their entire PA system went out during the second song of An Author, A Poet's set. It took the crew a good deal of time to fix it too. They spent about ten minutes before the band decided to play with just their amps and the raw vocal power of each member. And after they got it back during the middle of that song things weren't the same. There were a lot of patchy times in Convictions set with the mics cutting out again for about 20 seconds of a song. And the volume fluctuating during The White Noise's set. Before settling on it being way too loud for the Volume's set. Especially with them play a few older, louder, heavier songs.
In the end I would still go to a venue that I don't like given that the bands that are playing are ones that I am always down to see. Which in this case there were two that I will always make an effort to see. My home state homies in UABB, always holdin' down in H-Town. And my new found favorites and current obsession Convictions. so make sure you check them all out! All of the bands! And that is going to do it for this blog. Make sure you head on over to my FB page where I am going to post my photos of the entire concert which includes the four locals. Follow me on the rest of my socials for more fun stuff. And stay tuned. I am almost done working on my three websites. One dedicated to my blogs. One for all of my concert photography. And one for my special poetry project that I am currently working on. And as always. I will see you with another blog post. Very soon!
______________________________________________________

Comments
Post a Comment