The Voices In My Head
The Voices In My Head
Voices(They Want Me Dead) by. Convictions
Single Review by. @CMPMNNR
_______________________________________________________
AAAAND WE'RE BACK! Time for another music review after a brief hiatus! And what a song to come back for. This single by the Christian Metalcore band Convictions was released on Monday, April 23rd, 2018 as a music video. They also released the album name, release date, and tracklist for their second studio album as part of InVogue Records. The album titled "Hope For The Broken". will be released on June 15th, 2018 and contains 15 songs. I have previously covered these guys in a concert blog when I saw them on the "Alpha" tour, when they supported "War Of Ages". They had given me my press pass for that show and from there on I have been obsessed with these guys! The track being reviewed is titled "Voices(They Want Me Dead)" and it follows their style while symbiotically bringing a difference that refreshes the palate and leaves you wanting more. While not being quite as heavy vocally and the guitars not as chuggy as I would like to hear from them. Like "I Will Become" or "House Of Lies". But they heavy elements are still there, and the breakdown will still make any pit goer want to get violent. I also can't stop listening to the song. The chorus is catchy, and draws you in from the beginning. Bringing you through two powerful verses, and one last chorus before the bridge and aforementioned breakdown. If this song is a hint as to how the album will sound instrumentally, I will be left feeling like I want a little more, but still getting down nonetheless. And if the lyrics indicate anything, then this album will definitely hit you outta nowhere and you, like me, will be left speechless and ready for what they bring to the table on their next album in two or so years. And that about wraps up my personal critique and review. I'll get into a little more technical stuff in the end. But let's hop into a quick lyrical breakdown before I do so.
And that's going to do it for this edition of my music review. It's so exciting to have some music that is right in my wheelhouse and can't wait for more of it. This year we have, Beartooth, Silent Planet, Fit For A King, Being As An Ocean, and more releasing new music this year and I am ready for it! So don't forget to subscribe to this blog, and My YouTube channel. Follow my on Twitter, Instagram, and, if you still use it, Facebook. All of those will be linked down below, along with the link to the song, and the bands social media links. Stay tuned! More content coming, very soon!
________________________________________________
The song seems like a personal look into the narrator's mind. Looking at the personal demons that they are dealing with. The voices in their head. Speaking to them. Poisoning their mind. Leaving them in a state of paranoia and self doubt. Now looking for a way to purge the voices from their head and clear their mind to live free. This song lyrically fits into the theme of the coming album, "Hope For The Broken". Bringing an in depth glance at depression, anxiety, and crippling self doubt. The song opens up with the chorus, asking the question of will the voices in their head ever leave them alone.
Then we head into verse one. Stating the message that this is to an inner voice. My head, my thoughts, my brain. All working to bring me into a false sense of worthlessness. Leading me to doing something with drastic consequences."When will this ever end?All these voices in my head! They want me dead! They want me dead! I'm hanging by a thread!"
"This is to relentless spirits that taunts my every thought. This ghost is hopeless. I'm the phantom, the poet. The man that wears a mask and hides his fickle emotions. I've grown to live with this self-doubt. So just breath in now. Your thoughts are only in your head. Stop repeating every word you've said. Over and over again. God, will this ever end?"Verse two is shorter than the first by about half. But it packs in a second layer of the paranoia inducing self doubt. The misleading anxiety inducing voices leave you hanging by a thread. Pondering what is to come. Over and over again.
Then we come to the only pre-chorus in the song leading to the third recitation of the chorus. A brief extension of both verses and the chorus's message. A reminder to the listener. You are not alone in this struggle. The narrator feels this way. Leading them to write these lines. So just take a deep breath. Even when it feels like it will never end. It will. And in the end you'll be stronger because of it."Hanging by a single thread. Anxiety deception I've been mislead. There's nowhere to run. There's nowhere to hide. Collapse or composure: these worlds collide"
"So just breath in now. Just breath in now. Breath in. Just know you are not alone. You're so much stronger than you'll know. Over and over again, God, will this ever end?"Bridge/Breakdown. Low and building, the bridge poses a couple of questions that the narrator has asked themself, and the listener. questions that even a "normal" or "mentally healthy" person would ask themselves at a certain point or the other.
"Was it all worth it? These years spent a mess. Years not being myself. While they grew within me?"And it leads to the narrator's final, mental, breakdown. Telling themself that their not good enough. You'll never be enough. Then finally. In a last moment of desperation, and realization that this situation is at its final moments we get the utterance of this from the narrator...
"Well, I've had enough so shut up! Shut up shut up! I've had enough! Tear their portraits from the wall! Kill em' all! Kill em' all! Burn their fortress to the ground!"Then we get a nice, heavy, breakdown. Something that I am sure the crowd will get violent to when they play this live. Then we get a twice over recitation of the chorus. And a nice little outro to close off the song. Like I said before. This song is not as heavy as I would have hoped for. But this song is only the first single off of their newest album, yet to be released. The album as a whole could be just as heavy, or heavier overall, compared to their last album. That being said, I hope this is the case. Keep it right in the metal-core to post-hardcore range and I think they will have a winner on their hands this time around.
And that's going to do it for this edition of my music review. It's so exciting to have some music that is right in my wheelhouse and can't wait for more of it. This year we have, Beartooth, Silent Planet, Fit For A King, Being As An Ocean, and more releasing new music this year and I am ready for it! So don't forget to subscribe to this blog, and My YouTube channel. Follow my on Twitter, Instagram, and, if you still use it, Facebook. All of those will be linked down below, along with the link to the song, and the bands social media links. Stay tuned! More content coming, very soon!
_________________________________________________
Links and Stuff
FB: @CMPMNNR
Twitter:@CMPMNNR
Insta: CMPMNNR
Patreon: CMPMNNR
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
Convictions Links-----------------------------
FB: @ConvictionsRock
Twitter: @ConvictionsRock
Insta: convictionsrock
Song Link: https://open.spotify.com/track/2n5hj2rG2GxIzbweiHLnMB?si=sMz44QlVRe-yY7ME2ksCWg

Comments
Post a Comment