Are you infected?

Are You Infected - "Virus" by. Memphis May Fire

Music, A Review by Christopher McArdle Poetry


Hello, and welcome to another edition of my music review blog. In this one we will get back to artist/song/album reviews. The track for this one is a fresh one called "Virus" by a band named Memphis May Fire. This band has been one of my faves for the longest time now and after their album "This Light I hold" that was released back in October of 2016 I have been curious as to what direction the band was going to go in. And now we have a clearer picture of the evolution of Memphis May Fire. And I gotta say I love it! Their sound is starting to remind of a another band called Skillet. And if those two bands toured together I think I would go crazy! But enough of that. Let's get down to the breakdown and review of this track.

Verse One; starts off with lyrics the "I feel it deep within. Its underneath my skin" that immediately remind me of the song "Monster"  by Skillet, another reason I like the new sound they are producing. The verse seems to set the theme of feeling tempted. like the virus. The temptation. Is sitting there, lingering around them, dancing on their tongue. Filling up their lungs with its noxious power. But it comes with the end message that the narrator won't let this temptation get to them, or let it fill their soul. Because they know that they can fight it and win.

Verse Two; continues the theme of a temptation entering the life of the narrator. Making said narrator question whether they wanted to exist. The temptation used to be their lifestyle, but now the narrator sees that the temptation was really the enemy all along. The venom in their veins. That their time will come to face each other again, but that time will not be today. The temptation that the narrator is probably talking about is alcohol. This one would be a pretty safe bet, seeing as Matty has spoken out about his addiction to the stuff before this song. But the lyrics don't highlight just one single temptation. Rather, it generalizes all temptations and gives an overall message that there is hope. That just like the narrator, you can fight your temptation, and you can win!

The Chorus; A fighting call. Reminding the narrator that when they fight they are still alive. They can keep on fighting, holding on to their inner being. Keeping inside what they have left of themselves. Reminding the temptation that it is just a "Virus". That the narrator didn't come here to die tonight.

The Bridge; serves as a realization, and a message to the temptation. The narrator comes out swinging saying that their eyes are now wide open to see the light. Their spirit has come alive, they're holding on, their will has been strengthened. They have recovered fully and the end is near. The temptation has no more power over them. They have no more reasons to hide, and they're free to move on and take back their life.

In Conclusion; The song opens up with some heavy, crunchy, guitar riffs. A tantalizing drum intro. A deep bass riff. And finally Matty's powerful vocals to open up with the first verse. The flow and transition between verses, choruses, and bridge are really tight. Their composition is perfect. While it is a bit different then their previous works, this is a level of their evolution as a band. I know that they are probably going to get a bit of hate for this. But it seems like they are still staying close to their original sound. So in the end I gotta say that I like the direction they are headed.  Have a listen to this song and let me know what you think. Also head over to my YouTube channel where I go into a broader depth of coverage on this song and also share a little more of my personal opinion. So go check that out. And also check out the rest of my social media links.


My Social Stuff:


Patreon: www.patreon.com/cmcardlepoetry 
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0GW1RvN2ug8DpXDEz59ewz
Patreon: www.patreon.com/cmcardlepoetry 
Music Blog: cmpmusicblog.blogspot.com 
Facebook: Christopher McArdle Poetry
Twitter: @CMcArdle49
Instagram: c.mcardlepoetry
Tumblr: www.tumblr.com/blog/c-mcardle-poetry

SnapChat: McChickenAIM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky Is Falling! Or Is It Just A Paramore album?

Blooming Flowers In The Springtime

Taking Control, Again