Dealing With The Post-Traumatic
Dealing With The Post-Traumatic
A review of Mike Shinoda's surprise EP
Ladies and gentleman. Welcome to another installment of my music review blog/videos. in this one we cover the surprise release of an EP by Linkin Park's own Mike Shinoda. On January 25th, 2018 he dropped a surprising three track EP titled "Post Traumatic". This EP comes right after the six month anniversary of his longtime friend and fellow bandmate Chester Bennington's death by suicide. This happening back on July 20th of 2017. Since then, the band has been on an obvious break, with one tribute show that they did back in October, in which tons of other artist gathered to perform their favorite LP hits to pay tribute and honor the memory and legacy of Bennington. Then fast forward to the EP back a couple of weeks ago. The EP is very much a tribute/open letter to his deceased friend. Consisting of three Hip-Hop inspired songs, with rap style flows from Shinoda. This EP is a very raw, emotional, and great look at how one is dealing with the traumatic loss of a close friend. One that became like a brother to Mike. This is one that Shinoda als commented saying that this EP is all him, " The past six months have been a rollercoaster. Amidst the chaos, I’ve started to feel an intense gratitude--for your tributes and messages of support, for the career you have allowed me to have, and for the simple opportunity to create. Today, I’m sharing three songs I wrote and produced, with visuals that I filmed, painted, and edited myself. At its core, grief is a personal, intimate experience. As such, this is not Linkin Park, nor is it Fort Minor--it’s just me. Art has always been the place I go when I need to sort through the complexity and confusion of the road ahead. I don’t know where this path goes, but I’m grateful I get to share it with you". With that being said. Let's breakdown each song for a deeper look into the mind of Mike Shinoda after this unforeseen, and extremely traumatic experience.
This is the first track off of the EP and, no pun intended, it is a good place to start. Feeling like you don't know where to start. Like you still don't know what really has happened. And feeling like you have lost control of it all. Like you don't have a choice and you've been living in a, "story already written". Like you are living as part of a "vision made by somebody else". In this song Mike meditates with his thoughts and tries to comprehend life and all its struggles. The song has a mounting, melodic flow revealing Mike coming to terms with how to proceed. These thoughts all come to light after his dear friend and bandmate Chester Bennington committed suicide in 2017. The track chronicles Shinoda’s past few months of emotional — and oftentimes disembodied — grief over losing Bennington. At the end of the song, one can hear several recordings from Mike’s friends who all want to send him their condolences as they know the harsh situation he’s going through. Some of the standout lyrics of the song come towards the end of verse one and paint a dark light into the mind of Shinoda in the middle of trying to cope with this traumatic loss. "Pointing fingers at villains but I'm the villain myself. Or am I out of conviction with no wind in the sail? Too focused on the end and simply ready to fail" As stated above, with no pun intended. This song is indeed a good place to start
This song seems like it is a heartfelt song by Mike Shinoda. After the death of bandmate Chester Bennington, it left the band and the music industry in shock, as well as leaving the future of Linkin Park in question. This song focuses on the reactions of the band, especially Mike, following the news that their friend had passed away. Instead of experiencing the grief all at once, the feelings return and repeat, thus forcing Mike to deal with this new reality “over and over and over again.” Mike references that the band were keeping in touch, possibly in shock and disbelief that their friend was actually gone. And then they decide that they should play a show to honor their fallen friend. That show was last year on October 27th. They joined together with sever other artist like Oliver Sykes, Jonathan Davis and many other artists to perform their favorite Linkin Park hits. In this song Shinoda also speaks about not being ready for the show. How he can't remember if he cancelled any of the shows that the band had already booked. Also saying "We rehearsed it for a month, I'm not worried about the set. I get tackled by the grief at times that I would least expect. I know what I should be doing when I'm singing but instead. We'll be playing through a song and I'd remember in my head" Not knowing if he should be there. Or if he'll ever be ready to play another show ever again. Moving on he Talks about the flack that he's gotten from those who have "heard it all before". and know to the point that some are even doubting of he even has real feelings of loss because he says the same thing they all say after losing someone. However he knows that the emotions are as raw as he can get. He get's tired of all the "It's going to be hard to move on and keep making music" when he feels like he's lost it all and doesn't need their acknowledgement that his entire life's work is now hanging in the balance. He then ends the second verse before heading into the final chorus by stating that all he wants is a little closure, but every step he takes towards it he gets further away. In closing this song is a great addition to the EP and possibly the most emotionally charged one.
And then we come to the third and final song off the EP. “Watching As I Fall” sees Mike narrating how it felt to see his bandmate Chester Bennington commit suicide. It describes how terrible it was for him; while the world lost a music icon, a hero, Mike lost his best friend. The song, along with the whole EP, lays how difficult it was for Mike to bear the tragic news, and how after so many months, it’s still really hard to live up with your friend’s passing. The song is the ‘fastest’ of the EP and shows Mike discussing how hard it is for him to show himself to the public. He tries to tell people he’s okay, while deep inside, he’s still suffering. He also references Jimi Hendrix' song Purple Haze in the line "Excuse while I kiss the sky". Linkin Park is known for being inconsistent with music production. At one point in time, the band went a whole four years without music—the time between their 2003 sophomore project Meteora and 2007’s Minutes to Midnight. Mike’s side rock-rap act, Fort Minor has yet to drop a full official project since 2005’s The Rising Tied. Mike figures no one should really care about him suddenly changing his mind on what he wants to rap about since he was never really on a defined ‘consistent’ path anyway—which is ironic since he admits to consistently reusing the same “old words” or trite theme of him fighting his inner struggles within his music. such as referenced in these lyrics, "Watching as I say this and then I do that. Telling them the old words but in a new rap. Then I change my mind up and make them lose track. S*** I'm inconsistent I thought they knew that". And he sings in the chorus how it seems like no-one is cares to help him. They only want to watch him as he falls to the ground and tries to pick himself up. And that about sums up this song.
Have Hope!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Call: 1-800-273-8255
Suicide Prevention Lifeline:https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/talk-to-someone-now/
Suicide Prevention Resource Center: https://www.sprc.org/
Place To Start
This is the first track off of the EP and, no pun intended, it is a good place to start. Feeling like you don't know where to start. Like you still don't know what really has happened. And feeling like you have lost control of it all. Like you don't have a choice and you've been living in a, "story already written". Like you are living as part of a "vision made by somebody else". In this song Mike meditates with his thoughts and tries to comprehend life and all its struggles. The song has a mounting, melodic flow revealing Mike coming to terms with how to proceed. These thoughts all come to light after his dear friend and bandmate Chester Bennington committed suicide in 2017. The track chronicles Shinoda’s past few months of emotional — and oftentimes disembodied — grief over losing Bennington. At the end of the song, one can hear several recordings from Mike’s friends who all want to send him their condolences as they know the harsh situation he’s going through. Some of the standout lyrics of the song come towards the end of verse one and paint a dark light into the mind of Shinoda in the middle of trying to cope with this traumatic loss. "Pointing fingers at villains but I'm the villain myself. Or am I out of conviction with no wind in the sail? Too focused on the end and simply ready to fail" As stated above, with no pun intended. This song is indeed a good place to start
Over Again
This song seems like it is a heartfelt song by Mike Shinoda. After the death of bandmate Chester Bennington, it left the band and the music industry in shock, as well as leaving the future of Linkin Park in question. This song focuses on the reactions of the band, especially Mike, following the news that their friend had passed away. Instead of experiencing the grief all at once, the feelings return and repeat, thus forcing Mike to deal with this new reality “over and over and over again.” Mike references that the band were keeping in touch, possibly in shock and disbelief that their friend was actually gone. And then they decide that they should play a show to honor their fallen friend. That show was last year on October 27th. They joined together with sever other artist like Oliver Sykes, Jonathan Davis and many other artists to perform their favorite Linkin Park hits. In this song Shinoda also speaks about not being ready for the show. How he can't remember if he cancelled any of the shows that the band had already booked. Also saying "We rehearsed it for a month, I'm not worried about the set. I get tackled by the grief at times that I would least expect. I know what I should be doing when I'm singing but instead. We'll be playing through a song and I'd remember in my head" Not knowing if he should be there. Or if he'll ever be ready to play another show ever again. Moving on he Talks about the flack that he's gotten from those who have "heard it all before". and know to the point that some are even doubting of he even has real feelings of loss because he says the same thing they all say after losing someone. However he knows that the emotions are as raw as he can get. He get's tired of all the "It's going to be hard to move on and keep making music" when he feels like he's lost it all and doesn't need their acknowledgement that his entire life's work is now hanging in the balance. He then ends the second verse before heading into the final chorus by stating that all he wants is a little closure, but every step he takes towards it he gets further away. In closing this song is a great addition to the EP and possibly the most emotionally charged one.
Watching As I Fall
And then we come to the third and final song off the EP. “Watching As I Fall” sees Mike narrating how it felt to see his bandmate Chester Bennington commit suicide. It describes how terrible it was for him; while the world lost a music icon, a hero, Mike lost his best friend. The song, along with the whole EP, lays how difficult it was for Mike to bear the tragic news, and how after so many months, it’s still really hard to live up with your friend’s passing. The song is the ‘fastest’ of the EP and shows Mike discussing how hard it is for him to show himself to the public. He tries to tell people he’s okay, while deep inside, he’s still suffering. He also references Jimi Hendrix' song Purple Haze in the line "Excuse while I kiss the sky". Linkin Park is known for being inconsistent with music production. At one point in time, the band went a whole four years without music—the time between their 2003 sophomore project Meteora and 2007’s Minutes to Midnight. Mike’s side rock-rap act, Fort Minor has yet to drop a full official project since 2005’s The Rising Tied. Mike figures no one should really care about him suddenly changing his mind on what he wants to rap about since he was never really on a defined ‘consistent’ path anyway—which is ironic since he admits to consistently reusing the same “old words” or trite theme of him fighting his inner struggles within his music. such as referenced in these lyrics, "Watching as I say this and then I do that. Telling them the old words but in a new rap. Then I change my mind up and make them lose track. S*** I'm inconsistent I thought they knew that". And he sings in the chorus how it seems like no-one is cares to help him. They only want to watch him as he falls to the ground and tries to pick himself up. And that about sums up this song.The Wrap-Up
We have finished the EP. From beginning to end it is a chronology of Mike's feelings. And there is no real way way to wrap up something like this. So I will just leave you with the reminder to check out the video. Subscribe to the channel as well as this blog. Turn on my YouTube notifications so you get reminded of when I post. Also check out my social media links, and the links to this song and others below!
Links and Stuff:
My Links----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
FB: https://www.facebook.com/CMPMNnR/
FB: https://www.facebook.com/CMPMNnR/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/CMMNnR
Twitter: @CMcArdle49
Insta: c.mcardlepoetry
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/12181766444
EP:https://open.spotify.com/album/3W31ub00flGURiS8Xif4lh?si=WuZ3cH2uSK6gs1E1L84bRgHave Hope!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Call: 1-800-273-8255
Suicide Prevention Lifeline:https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/talk-to-someone-now/
Suicide Prevention Resource Center: https://www.sprc.org/

Comments
Post a Comment