Fit For A King Headlining Show

Fit For A king Headlining Show

Friday, December 1st, 2017


A few weeks ago I got the chance to photograph my first national touring show that came through Houston. This was the show headlined by Dallas based band Fit For A King, supported by bands In Hearts Wake, Like Moths To Flames, and Phinehas. The show was played at the one and only Scout Bar located in the Clear Lake Area of Houston, a short distance from Baybrook mall. The venue has been one of my favorites for quite some time so getting to shoot my first touring gig of this caliber. And I have one man to thank for all of it. I'll get to that at a later point in this blog, so keep reading! And let's get into the concert blog.

The first band up was Phinehas. This Metalcore/Hardcore band out of La Miranda California hit it big in their set to open the night. Their music is heavily inspired by their Christian faith and it can be seen through their lyrics, like their latest, "Dark Flag". My first encounter with their music was back in 2015 when their album "Till The End" was released and they were an instant hit on my playlists. Then fast forward to earlier this year when I got the chance to see them live I took that chance. I saw them along with Aura and Erra. From then the band has been on a roll. They released their fourth album titled "Dark Flag" back on November 17th, got picked up for the Fit For A King headliner shortly before and we have now the band before us. They performed several of their hit songs like, "Know Death, Know Forever"  and their title track from their latest album, "Dark Flag". These guys are gaining more popularity and I feel like these guys are going to take off soon, like their friends in the band "Silent Planet". Definitely check out their music if you are into Metalcore/Hardcore. 

The next band up was the five piece Metalcore/Post-Hardcore band from Columbus Ohio known as, "Like Moths To Flames". This band comes to the tour fresh of their latest album release "Dark Divine" released back on November 3rd. This being my first encounter with them live I could tell that their energy was pounding. The crowd was just as alive for their set, as the next two bands and the one before them. They fit in well with the style of music that is lined up for this tour and I thoroughly enjoyed their music. Even though I do not listen to them regularly enough to remember much of the lyrics. They are another hit band to come out of Columbus along with arguably the most popular band to come out of there in recent years. That being the two-piece "Twenty One Pilots". While not in the same genre, or near the same level of popularity, they still made a huge impact on this Houston crowd. Opening up with one of their new ones "New Plagues" off of "Dark Divine" as well as the title track to that album and "Nowhere Left To Sink". They also played some older hits like "I Solemnly Swear"  and "Bury your Pain". While these guys might not be my first choice for a concert, they definitely are up there in the top fifteen of their genre for me.


Co-Headlining this tour is the Aussie band, "In Hearts Wake". They come all the way across the globe from Byron Bay Australia and bring us a powerful Metalcore sound to partner with the headlining band "Fit For A King". This is another band that has released an album this year. Their's being titled "Ark" released back on May 26th of this year. A little bit earlier than the previous two bands releases. Their set was packed with non-stop action, both on stage, and in the crowd. That last part made me really glad that there are barricades at some of these shows, like this one. It made shooting and handling my camera a lot easier. The highlight of their set was when they performed their song "Survival". To which their lead singer got into and inflatable raft and crowd surfed to the back of the crowd, picked up a flag with the words "S.S. Humanity" printed on it. I have not really paid attention to their music until the day of the show and I am severely disappointed in myself for it. I definitely should have paid more attention to them, their music is PHENOMENAL! A definite win for this tour. A great decision as the co-headliner.

And then we get to the headliner. The four-piece band from the little town of Tyler, TX known as Fit for A King. A Metalcore band that brings both an enigmatic energy to their set and sends the crowd into a frenzy of mosh. And these guys were also the reason I was able to photograph this show. I have known this band for a while now, listened and enjoyed their music. I have talked with Ryan Kirby, the band's front-man, many times. This is how I got my photo pass. I was speaking with him over Facebook a couple of days before the show and I asked him if it would be possible to get a photo pass so that I could get some more content for my blog and build my concert blogging and reporting portfolio. I had not heard from him for a day or so, but the day of the show he replied with an affirmative that I would have a photo pass waiting for me at the door! This was exciting news, and I could not wait to shoot the show ahead. And their set at the end of the night was the most energetic of all the sets before! And definitely one of the most energetic of their sets that I have seen. This is their first headlining tour and you could say that they had some big shoes to fill. But they fill them quite well, in my opinion. They played songs from their older albums, as well as some stuff off off this years "Deathgrip" album released back in October. They play crowd favorite like, "Slave To Nothing" a song that had the whole crowd screaming along, to softer hits like "Skin And Bones". I am so thankful for the band allowing me to come and photograph the show, and I can't wait to see them on their next tour. And if you have not checked out any of these bands, but you are into Metalcore/Hardcore music, please check out their links down below and give them a shot.

In Conclusion: This was an amazing concert to be my first official photo pass concert. I have shot a few concerts before, but nothing like this one and I can't wait to get into more shows like this and continue to bring you the news on these shows! Take care and check out all of the links down below!


Links And Stuff

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
FaceBookhttps://www.facebook.com/CMPMNnR/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/CMMNnR
Twitter: @CMcArdle49
Instagram: c.mcardlepoetry
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF43bvnzDy8zkQsFEIXtwPA?
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/12181766444
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phinehas: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1GHGBOI7I9FJfvhJe7e3A0
Like Moths To Flames: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6RRpZz1uPqY9E28kmSPAhw
In Hearts Wake: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30BDCIM0IdglDaLzvCYd0N
Fit For A King: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0OgdRTPItr9dw4XYp4JJUx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky Is Falling! Or Is It Just A Paramore album?

Blooming Flowers In The Springtime

Taking Control, Again