Can We Be Future Friends

Future Friends EP by. Superfruit

Music, A Review by Christopher McArdle Poetry


Hello, and welcome to this weeks one and only music review blog. Sorry that I only have this one but I was involved in some volunteer stuff at my church this week, working with the youth group doing several service projects and having fun. So if you want to see some of that please go check out the video for this blog post. I will have some of my footage from that playing before the music review. But never the less, let's get in to the review for this blog.

The review this week will be about the EP named "Future Friends", and the track titled "Imaginary Parties". This is a seven track EP by the music duo Mitch Grassi, and Scott Hoying. These two are members of the A Capella group known as "Pentatonix". Together they created their YouTube channel named "Superfruit, (SUP3RFRUIT)" back in 2013 and have amassed just over 2.4 million subscribers in the four years that it has been around. Now they have released this EP as a side project in between their runs with "Pentatonix". It is a two part EP, so the first part is what I will be reviewing today. When the second part gets released in September I will write a review for it as well. So let's get down to the review. First the EP overall, then breaking down the track's lyrics and overall composition.

 "Future Friends - Part 1" EP Review

The EP was release on Friday, June 30th, 2017 and consists of seven tracks. The musical composition of this EP is the opposite of what Scott and Mitch do with Pentatonix in the sense that none of the music is A Capella. They instead have done a full instrumental pop composition. It features the two either singing harmoniously, in unison, or as solo parts. Each track has both of their voices in all or some part of the verses and choruses, playing off of each others dynamic vocal ranges. Mitch having a higher tenor/counter-tenor range. And Scott having a tenor/baritone range. All of which makes for a very powerful vocal attack in each song. The track listing goes as follows, 1. Imaginary Parties, 2. Bad 4 Us, 3. Worth It (Perfect), 4. Vacation, 5. Sexy Ladies, 6. Heartthrob, 7. Future Friends. Each track is different in it's composition but with a theme of the narrator talking to a friend or potential friend, following the EP's title. I can say that I enjoyed the overall arrangement of the EP and the track that I will be Breaking down below. So let's get on to that.

"Imaginary Parties" Track Review

Intro & Verse One: Starting right off the bat with an in unison "Go to imaginary parties in our make believe Ferrari. Baby let's get fresh. I know we know how". Starting the theme of the teenage narrator wanting to break up the monotony of their relationship. Stating that they can go out to these imaginary parties and act as though they are living it up as classier people than they really are. "Come a little closer baby We can pretend like I'm the new kid in town", let's take things back to the excitement of when we were a new couple. Let's make things interesting again. "Take me for a ride around if that's what you like. But if you're driving I'm down. We can make a movie, baby. You can be Gable and I can be West. Call me Tarantino. Because you and me know that it's what I do best". Many couples use role-play to spice up their romantic lives. This line also plays into a greater theme of the album which is high school and teenage-hood (particularly evident in Heartthrob).

Verse Two: The narrator expresses the feeling that anything their partner wants to do can be done so, "Tell me about your fantasy cause I can do anything. And don't ya hold back. I can call the shots and you can call me what you want Oh baby how about that (how about that)". The narrator can be the ringleader or the cheerleader. Another insight we get into the drama of a teenage life is in the lines, "We can have a slumber party. You show me yours, and I'll be showing you mine". This line fits into that re-discovering your youth, the re-inventing your relationships. With the later of the two lines being a quintessential reference to the openness and communication required to make a relationship work. Literally showing yourself, your body, and more importantly, your personality.

The Choruses: In-between the two verses are the strings that tie them together; the choruses. "If it's all we ever wanted. Than baby play along" is a nod forward to the second verse, then back to it in the outset. That sense of fulfilling the fantasy of things being newer and better than they had been. "Go to imaginary parties in our make-believe Ferrari. Baby let's get fresh, it's like we just met" is that onset of the whole thing being a dream, fantasy, a fake luxury; and that sense of wanting it to be real and like it was back when they first met each other. "If you wanna catch fire we'll get a little hotter (Wanna keep you satisfied)" being a admission that the narrator wants to keep their partner around, and he is willing to change things up, and get a little hotter. "Just you and me together in our imitation leathers. Baby let's get fresh, I know we know how" being that last admittance that what the narrator wants, but he knows that they know how, and they can make it work out.

In Conclusion: The song is my overall favorite track off of this EP. It comes in front of "Future Friends", the title track, and "Bad 4 Us". This being their first side project since "Pentatonix's" breakout success is quite a hit. Their instrumentals have been arranged in a wonderful way. I believe that they really accomplish what the duo wanted them to. Especially when it comes to telling the story behind each song. So if you are a fan of the work that "Pentatonix" does, then chances are you will be a fan of this EP by two of their own. And if you aren't a fan of the group, but you are a pop-music fan, then give these seven tracks a try. I'm sure that they will make your ears pop, and your feet will want to dance.

Well that's all for this blog. If you liked this please go on over to YouTube and check out the video of this blog. It is packed with some bonus content that I filmed while at my Church this week. So definitely go check that out at the link below. Also check out the link to my tour announcement video down below as well; we are at 76 views for this and I REALLY want to get this to 100 by August 1st. Also be sure to subscribe to my channel and hut the bell for a message whenever I upload a new video. And lastly, check out the rest of my socials for more fun stuff. Se ya next week!


Links and Stuff


Vlog: https://youtu.be/0eMKHgy_DZQ
Tour Video: https://youtu.be/-_dDAJ-ie6E
Patreon: www.patreon.com/cmcardlepoetry
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0GW1RvN2ug8DpXDEz59ewz
Facebook: Christopher McArdle Poetry
Twitter: @CMcArdle49
Instagram: c.mcardlepoetry
Tumblr: www.tumblr.com/blog/c-mcardle-poetry
SnapChat: McChickenAIM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky Is Falling! Or Is It Just A Paramore album?

Blooming Flowers In The Springtime

Taking Control, Again