New Music: A Review #2

"Young And Menace" by. Fall Out Boy


Welcome, to another installment of  my music review blog. In this one I will be reviewing the song "Young And Menace" by. Fall Out Boy. This is another group like, Linkin Park, who have stepped out of the boundaries of the genre they have been in. This has upset the "Hardcore" FOB fans. But as I have stated in my previous blog, musicians grow and go through changes. Likewise, their music will also change. This is not a bad thing, so long as their changes don't affect their overall music. Also changes can mean that the music they produce will reach a broader audience. Such as what has been done with "Heavy" by Linkin Park. And this means the message behind the song can reach more people and possibly help them for the better.


Now on to the music review portion of this post. Let's start with the lyrics. Verse one starts with Patrick's unique voice saying the lines "We've gone way too fast for way too long". A line that the band and more specifically Pete Wentz has stated that comes from their experience as a band. They've been together for 16 years. And they've admitted that since coming back from their 2 year hiatus that they have been overworking themselves. And being a touring band is already a fast paced environment, and they still began working on their latest album "American Beauty/American Psycho" immediately after "Save Rock And Roll". Then he moves on to the lyrics "And we were never supposed to make it half this far" as a symbol of their mindset coming out of their hiatus and thinking that they weren't going to be as big of a name or as good as they were before. But after the dust settled and they released "SRR" it became their biggest album to date and they were once again household names. Quite possibly even bigger than before. And then they give a nod to "Motley Crue's" own Nikki Sixx. He admitted in his novel to being pronounced dead on 2 separate occasions due to overdosing. Pete himself even admitted to overdosing. This is a common occurrence in the "Rock'n'Roll" lifestyle, full of unique characters. Also the lines stating that they'll have to be killed twice is another nod to their mindset of not being as big as they were before and coming out bigger.

On to verse two. Here we see more of Pete's lyrical comparisons to his personal life and struggle. The first line is a comparison to waking up on the wrong side of the bed. "Waking up on the wrong side of reality" or being in a depressive state. Alternatively it could be that the narrator could be stating that they are feeling down and that it's not just a bad mood that they are having that day. Then continuing on with the next lines " And there's a madness that's just coursing through me. And as far as the time, far as the time. Not sure I'm there yet but I'm certain I've arrived" and I think this annotation from the website www.genius.com fits these lyrics very well "Mental health recovery isn't a simple matter of finding a cure, to bring you back to what society deems a 'normal' state of mind forever. Some days (months, years, etc.) will be better or worse than others, but a sense of personal well-being and peace of mind is still possible if one does not give up." Something Pete knows from personal experience. 

Then the bridge hits after the chorus. Going off the deep end has become the phrase used for describing someone who is acting irrationally, or in a grandiose matter such as the lyrics "I'm just here to become the best yet. I'm just here for the psych assessment". Both of which also reflect the the mania and depression that come with bipolar disorder. Also coincidentally these could be references with a double meaning. The band coming off of hiatus had this underdog mentality. As stated before they ended up being bigger than before. Both facts have been stated in two of their previous songs off of two of their previous albums. One is "I'm just the old man on the balcony singing, nobody will ever remember me" the song was "From Now On We Are Enemies" off of their last album before their hiatus; speaking about their break and how no one will know them when they come back. And the second is off of their latest album "American Beauty/American Psycho" and the song is "Centuries". This being their realization that they are now even bigger and that they are household names in the music industry. Yet they still feel lost as they have been running around crazy trying to become what they already are.

Next comes the chorus. This is rife with fun antics and serious business at the same time. First off is a play on Britney Spears with the line "Oops I, did it again" and being a menace. Then on to "I forgot what I was loosing my mind about" and "Oh, I only wrote this down to make you press rewind" having fun and still sending a message that they were "Young and a menace"! Then enjoying a little fun in the Skrillex like bridge with some synth and a chopping of the "young and menace" part of the chorus. 

To conclude this review I have to personally say that I like where they are headed and I cannot wait to see what comes from them in the future. The video that depicts a kid running away from what appears to be an abusive family life and trying to escape it all. This plays well into the lyrics describing the bands, and more affectionately, Pete's personal struggles. I hope you guys have enjoyed this review and find it informative as to where the music industry is heading in the future. Also be sure to check out the rest of my socials, my YouTube channel with my poetry and my upcoming vlogs, and hopefully a music review vlog. Also check out my last review and my Patreon page that is loaded with cool perks for all my Patrons.


Subscribe and Follow Me!

Patreon: www.patreon.com/cmcardlepoetry
Music Blog: www.cmpmusicblog.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cmcardlepoetry
Twitter: www.twitter.com/CMcArdle49
Instagram: www.instagram.com/c.mcardlepoetry/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky Is Falling! Or Is It Just A Paramore album?

Blooming Flowers In The Springtime

Taking Control, Again